Saturday, April 15, 2017

White Light

I've been noticing and thinking about white light and the various hues of white light that we use in theatre and in every day life. It's fascinating that there are so many lights that we consider to be "white" or "neutral," but are actually so different from one another. If I do my makeup or get dressed in one room, the colors look one way, but if I go outside or even just into a different room of the house, the colors can look totally different even though I consider all of the lights to be "white light." White light to me is usually tinted yellow or blue and it is really interesting how drastic the color of an object can change when switching between the two. I also experimented with the flash light on my phone and I have a hard time trying to classify the light as anything other than white light. It doesn't appear to have a tint of any kind to it.

1 comment:

  1. I have never thought about the importance of light as an art form. I know light is important in our lives, but I did not comprehend to what degree light affects art. I find it difficult to describe light. I am beginning to realize that light does affect the message that the artist is trying to convey. Everything in the art form can be perfect according to the artist, but if the lighting is off, the message gets translated into something completely different. In this case your make-up and how others may see it, depends on the lighting you used, and how the angles highlight your facial features. Light is important, and how we use it can make a difference in what we try to say to the world.

    ReplyDelete