Thursday, April 27, 2017

The Simple Light

This class has made me notice the smallest details of light that I took for granted and never really noticed before. I catch myself staring sometimes at the lights around me in awe, thinking about angles and effects on my face because of them. I remember this specifically from class today actually. I had dropped my notebook on the ground because it was around the time Professor Smith started answering questions and I caught myself intrigued by my shadows on the floor. There were two of my shadows, at different angles. I looked up and tried to identify the lights. But mostly, I was intrigued by how the angle of the lights create the two shadows that overlap each other, one slightly more pungent than the other. I found that this was the intensity of the lights. It sounds stupid, but I started moving around, watching the shadows follow my movement, like twins stuck together like Cheng and Eng, just elongated by the distance of the light. It sparked my memory to dance shows and shows with dramatic lighting where they would create shapes on the ground in shadows using angles and light. Again, before this class I never noticed these things, now they are so intriguing. I thought that knowing this could be useful if we were dealing with a show that had to do with split identities like in Jekyll and Hyde. Where the split shadows could represent split personalities. I didn't realize how many doors lighting could open up and it's fascinating.
Image result for theatre lighting two shadows

No comments:

Post a Comment