Friday, April 28, 2017

Choir concert

On Monday I saw my friend's choir concert at her high school in her gym. It was more of a concert to honor their choir director who just recently won the Grammy Music Educator Award for 2017. They had a small stage area set up with a few stage lights. The lighting was better than just having the gym lights on, but the lighting seemed odd and kind of distracting sometimes. When they had people just giving speeches, they had typical white light on them which was fine. However, when people were singing (Totally name dropping, but... Such as Jason Mraz), they basically just used solid bright colored lighting and had them randomly flashing and such. It seemed as if they were using the effects for the sake of using effects rather than having a purpose. It was more interesting than just having white light I guess, but just using solid bright blue light seemed to wash the singers out and there was not much dimension. Most of the time it was a tad distracting. I know that the lighting was very limited, but part of me feels like it could have been executed a bit better. I also figured that probably a student or a teacher that doesn't really have any lighting experience decided on what the lighting should be. Concert lighting seems to tend to be usually about color and spectacle, but the lighting used for this concert felt a bit off to me.
I attempted to take pictures on my phone but they aren't very good pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment