Tuesday, May 30, 2017

lighting journal 4



This past weekend I got to spend a couple of days in Cambria, right next to San Simeon in central California. One of the places I got to visit was Hearst Castle. I've been there before, and each time I go I'm always mesmerized by the swimming pools there. The photo above is of the Roman Pool, an indoor swimming pool that's laid with mosaic tile. The tour guide told us that the tiles were made of glass, and because the color of each tile is so intensely saturated the effect is really mesmerizing. The way that light filters into the room causes the water to act as a mirror and reflect back the pattern of the tiles that loom above it. The room looked like it was a continuous circle of indigo and gold, and the water looked like it was cobalt instead of clear. I have to say though that the splendor of the room and the light was somewhat ruined for me when I thought about how Charlie Chaplin probably peed in this pool on one of his visits to William Hearst. Nevertheless it was still incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment