Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Impov, Irivne

For my final post, I'd like to talk about my recent experience at the world famous Improv at the Irvine Spectrum. This past weekend I saw Jon Lovitz, UCI drama major alumni, and got chance to study their lighting setup. I was not expecting this show to have a meal included honestly, I expected a normal theatre, not various table set ups. For that reason the lighting seemed to have a need for enough vibrancy to not only make the food in front of one seem more appetizing, but so that the performer on stage also got a lot of the attention. The lights were set up just how they are in the picture, minus the warm yellow lamps keeping light level up before the show. When the show started all one could see were the red and blue lights signaling the spectators to look in on the stage. I thought that this was well done with those boxes reminiscent of a Japanese screen. If they had just been bright blue and red lights with no filter, it would distract the audience and make them want to look away, I imagine,  Putting those screens in front to give off the color was a great way of keeping the color and the intensity on stage. I think I might use devices like that in the future when planning out lighting designs,

No comments:

Post a Comment