Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Light Board Programmer/Operator AVE Q

Looking for more experience in lighting, I took on the role of Light Board Operator for Avenue Q thinking I was going be pushing "GO" and learn to expedite the SM's commands. IT WAS SO MUCH MORE! I didn't know I would be learning to program a show, which included building cues, working with effects, moving lights and gobos and doing it all in a timely fashion. I have never touched a light board so this was so foreign to me. I learned so many tips from the amazing lighting team so in such a little time I became somewhat fast on operating the board. Even listening to both the lighting designer, Eb, and the SM, Matt, both giving me commands DURING the run of the show was something I learned to do. Jaymi told us that the LD does most of their work in front of everyone during tech and it is so true. I felt like Lucy and Ethel at the chocolate factory conveyer belt trying to listen to Eb giving me commands to alter cues while also taking cues from Matt as the show went on. This also reminds me of Jaymi because I feel super fortunate to have this experience being thrown into something totally new, out of my comfort zone, where I didn't know what I was doing at the start, but I'm doing well and have learned a new skill that could possibly help me get jobs in the future. Be sure to come see it this week/weekend! It is sold out, but come anyway because there's usually extra seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment