Wednesday, June 14, 2017

SUNSET CARD- but instead the Moon!

I was going to use my sunset card but, I thought the moon is similar and holds more meaning for me.

Last year, I studied abroad in London, England, for a full year. It was a very fun and exciting time, but it was also one of the most lonely and painful experiences because I was all alone... for a whole year. I had no family over there and had no friends that came to study abroad with me. My mom and I have always had a special connection to the moon. We would both stay up looking up at it. It was something only me and my mom did. Before I left, she told me, "If you ever get depressed while you are over there, just look up at the moon, and know that I am also looking up at the same moon thinking about you."
I had many breakdowns while over there, but I had no one to talk to because I didn't want to scare off the budding friendships over there, and I couldn't call my parents only to make them worry about me when they are unable to spend all that money to come see me just because I'm sad. I left to find a part of me that I felt I was missing. I want to find happiness. To find something to live for. I had to tough it out and stay there. My only solace was the moon. It gave me hope. It reminded me that I have someone who loves me waiting for me when I get back and no matter the 5,456 miles between us, or the 8 hour time difference, we still saw the same moon every night- together. That huge rock in space saved my life just because it refects sunlight at night. Funny, the things that help keep us here another day, huh?

-Cat Miranda


No comments:

Post a Comment